Sweetbriar Dreams

So where shall we go on our journey today?

Saturday 23 February 2013

The Wonders of Blogging

Very early last year I came across a blog and thought to myself, what a fantastic idea, somewhere to write my thoughts, my loves, keep a record of where I have been and what I have seen.  Then wrote my first ever post in June.  There were no comments and very little traffic but I wasn't doing it for 'mega results', I just thought that even if one person popped over to take a look then I would be so happy.  Gradually I got to grips with blogging, URL codes, HTML, how to position icons, tidy up the page etc etc.  Then, slowly, some kind followers appeared (Mrs Blacks This and That, and Bronwyn at Queen B Creative Me being my first) I joined Twitter and again I gained followers.  I suddenly felt I wasn't on my own, I was communicating with wonderful 'penpals' who had the same interests as me, some with family's similar to mine, all so lovely and encouraging with their comments.  I started joining Link up parties and reading blogs I would not have found before.  So thank you, thank you, thank you to you all who have taken time to read my day to day ramblings, followed and left such encouraging comments.


The icing on the cake came today, I have been nominated by the wonderful Plain Jane for the Liebster Award (a bit of an explanation of what this is about is here).  I have been enjoying Jane's blog so much and to read her lovely comment on my blog today has really humbled me. Please pay her a visit to her inspirational blog.


The rules are that I answer 11 questions set by Jane, give 11 random facts about myself and also to nominate 9 more wonderful bloggers.

So Coco, keep the seat warm, I may be a while...



Here goes, grab yourself a drink and a cup cake (my daughter said that!) and I hope you enjoy.

Questions from Jane:
1. If you could only have two courses of a three course meal which ones would they be?
This would have to be the main and the dessert.  Mainly because the main usually has more flavours and the dessert, well, obvious really!
2. Choose three words to sum you up.
Creative, conscientious, witty (in the words of my Mum and daughter - along with a few others which I won't put down!)
3. Which film last made you cry?
Ghost, it always gets me!
4. What animal would you most like to be and why?
A cat.  Independent, loyal, loving and warm.
5. Is there a smell that take you back to your childhood?
Don't laugh, Jeyes Fluid.  When we lived in London they used to clean the drains with this.  I instantly think of concrete every time I smell this!
6. What would your Desert Island disc be?
Beautiful Day by U2.  Absolutely LOVE this track.
7. Where do you most like to be?
Standing at the Cutty Sark in Greenwich, looking forward to walking around the Maritime Museum and Observatory.  (Me and my late Grandad's favourite places)
8. Potatoes - chipped, mashed or roasted?
Chipped (from the chippy - preferably London chips, you can get no better...I'm now salivating!)
9. What quality do you most admire in others?
I adore people who are unique and refuse to change to fit in.  These wonderful people are the happiest and inspirational people I know.
10. Sky Dive or Bungee Jump?
Neither, I do not do heights.  I found this out when wanting to be a female firefighter!!
11. What words of wisdom would you pass on to others?
In the words of the P!nk song 'You've got to get up and try, try, try'.

11 Random Facts About Myself:
1. I love Carry On films and will happily watch them ALL day.  Carry on Screaming is a classic.  What is even better is that my kids are laughing along too.
2. Never, ever, let me near a paper shredder.  I shredded a coat once when just coming into work and opening the blinds, don't ask, incredibly embarrassing, even more so as I was so hysterical that I couldn't get the words out to explain what I had done.
3. I have the usual phobias such as spiders, clowns, and squeezing cotton wool(?!), but my main one is...drum roll...Belly Buttons!!  Enough said!
4. I have the ugliest feet in the world (no I'm not attaching a picture as my bunions are throbbing due to the rain outside)
5. When I was pregnant with both Miss Teenager and Mr Teenager I had a huge craving for Rennies.  So much so that hubby knew when Miss Teenager was on the cards, as I was chomping away on the Rennies before the pregnancy test.
6. I walked across a hospital car park wearing my skirt inside out!  (I was working for one of the Directors at the time!
7. I like saying 'D' in Klingon (I'm not a Trekky though).
8. I find the words 'Moist', 'Plinth' and 'Gusset' very very funny!
9. I absolutely loathe hot weather.  Flies, smelly people, not being able to breathe.  :o(
10. I love Only Fools and Horses.
11. My nose was broken by my Dad when I was 9.  We were playing cowboys and indians with my two brothers and I was tied to a stool.  The dog (a very large Alsation) brushed against the stool and I went forward with only my nose to stop me.  My Dad lifted me to see the damage, and dropped me again as he can't stand the sight of blood.  A very interesting chat happened before the ambulance came to say not to say to the nurses that my Dad had tied me to a chair!!  We laugh now!

The Questions for my Nominees are:
1. What's your favourite month of the year and why?
2. What is the most embarrassing moment of your life?
3. What made you start blogging?
4. What makes you laugh and why?
5. What is the weirdest thing you have eaten?
6. What was your least favourite Christmas present and why?
7. What is your favourite film?
8. What first name would you have preferred to have been called?
9. When gardening, gloves on or gloves off?
10. What is your favourite ice cream flavour?
11. Sunday lunch, roast potatoes or mashed potatoes?

And the Oscar goes to...sorry, My Nominees are:

Queen B Creative Me
Playing with my Camera
Annies Little Plot
Liefselse
Grow our Own
A Woman of the Soil
Fabric Paper Thread
Beatrice Euphemie
AnjiKrafts

Well, that took some doing!  It was snowing a bit earlier but now it is dark outside and we have about an inch that has fallen.  Remember my post earlier this week and it was springlike here, well here we are back in the depths of winter once again.  Before and after (after being taken this morning - now more snow!), what a week!

So now Coco, budge up and let me carry on with my nice warm blanket, that tea looks cold!

Have a great weekend everyone and I hope you have enjoyed a little look at my random facts.

Take care.








13 comments:

  1. So much fun learning a little about yourself and seeing your cozy living room where you do all of your lovely thinking. There are so many funny and interesting things about you - two that I laughed at, wearing the skirt inside out and finding the word 'moist' funny. One of my fondest memories was being with my Mum when we shopped all day and didn't realize her coat was on inside out, and my daughter hates the word 'Moist'. We say it to tease her.

    Thank you for the award, a very special honor. I will be doing some visiting of all the other recipients - I do love visiting. Have a lovely weekend! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for the award Chel I am glad you enjoy my blog - I certainly enjoy yours. Some of your facts could easily apply to me. I will post about the award when I have plenty of time to sit and think about my answers. Congrats the award is well deserved.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel I know you so much better after reading your answers! Thanks for the award- I am truly flattered!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you were nominated and we were able to learn a little more about you! And we share a common - I absolutely hate hot weather too..... the worse part is I live in the desert :/

    Thanks for all of your sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Why is it that girls always end up being the Indian?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you very much for the award Chel, you well deserve yours. I recognise Elaine's blog on the list too which I love but the rest are all new to me so will go and have a look, its a great way to find new blogs.
    Some tough questions there, my most embarrassing moment?! Thanks again xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. That was fun, a bit of getting to know you better.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fun way to get to know you better. Thank you so much for the award. I'll take some time to think about it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations on your award Chel & thank you so much for the nomination. Methinks it may take a while to think of questions & answers.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I sure love that big doll house...looks like it's wooden! And it's fun to read your answers and get to know you better! You're unique...and I like that, too! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, yes it's wooden and I'm handcrafting a lot of what is on the outside at the moment. It has references to my family already by having the street sign being my Grandad's birthplace, and the shop sign dated 1879 when my Great Grandad was born. The roof has been tiled by me with moss etc. I really do need to do a post on it as I have only briefly covered it in others. So many ideas!! Take care. Chelx

      Delete
  11. Thanks for linking up to Grow Your Blog at Call Me Pmc. REturning the follow, I love your blog and love the Liebster award! so fun! ~ Paula

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey super, congratulations on your award, Chel! You deserve it :-)).

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting, I love reading your comments and will answer either by email or on the blog. You can also email me privately in my side bar. Have a great day x

Other Posts

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...