Sweetbriar Dreams

So where shall we go on our journey today?

Friday 29 November 2013

The ADVENTure

The last days of November are departing and now the December rush starts.  November has flown past far too quickly for my liking.  The autumnal colours are fading with each breath of wind as each colourful leaf falls to the floor.  My favourite season is about to leave me and now the nostalgia in my house begins to grow ready for the next season.
Before the leaves fall completely I took a little trip around Peterborough Cathedral just to record the last details of autumn.  The back drop of the Cathedral against the crispy leaves was just too delicious to miss.
The gaps in the branches allow a tantalizing glimpse of the view.
High above me the birds were taking a well deserved break from dodging the hardy shoppers in the City Centre.  Just warming themselves before the lunchtime rush, anticipating the tasty morsels falling to the floor.
Unfortunately the sun was a bit shy when I went into the cloisters, so the sun dial was out of order today.
But I had a sunny smile as I took another shot of my favourite door.
I've taken shots of this door before with it's beautiful stonework and enormous oak door complete with various centuries of graffiti.  On the other side of the cloisters there is the Bishop's door, again such beautiful stonework and this time with the crispy leaves all gathered at the stairs.
Looking at all the doors and the windows gave me an idea with the Advent season almost upon us.  Bear with me on this one, but I love Advent calendars, yes, you guessed it, the chocolate kind.  But I can't share chocolate with you, I'm way to selfish that way!  Instead, I would like to open an Advent calendar door with you each day, some photos will be relevant to the season, some will just be a moment that I wanted to share with you.  The shots will have some brief wording with it (due to the ever quickening pace through the month and the limited time I will have between shopping trips and the busy work season... I sound panicked already!) but please don't feel you need to comment on the advent posts as this is a big step up from my one post weekly blogging practices.  Instead I'd love it if you just tick the little 'I've opened the calendar today' box that will be at the end of the Advent posts to say you've come to visit.
I'm looking forward to sharing something with you each day as we go lead up to Christmas Day and finally put our feet up!
I also want to do a HUGE shout out to a blog I recently found which has me completely hooked.  Mike from A Bit About Britain is an absolute treasure of a find and now one of my top favourites.  His blog shows all different places in Britain and brings with it his fantastic shots of the different places he has been to, along with a history lesson and humour along the way.  It's one of those addictive blogs where you can't stop reading.  Please go along and visit him as I promise you really will love this journey.

I hope your preparations, Thanksgiving's and Black Friday's went well.  Apparently Black Friday has caught on over here and there were fights in shops!

Take care. 

♥  Chel  ♥ 

 (Remember that if you want to see a larger version of my photos just click on one and a slide will appear)

24 comments:

  1. These photos are phenomenal! You could make a photo book with them to enjoy for years to come. That's the wonderful thing about traveling...you see things you could never see staying at home. Enjoy the weekend! I love the winter season...but it's mild here in Florida! Sweet hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Chel, I loved all the photos you shared and how pretty it looks on the grounds of where you work. I love the idea of the advent calendar & I will try my best to visit often. Take care and enjoy the weekend. Julie from across the pond.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice photos of this old church.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is such a stunningly gorgeous post. Your photos are so inspirational. I wish you would share these on our blog hop. SO pretty!! Have a great weekend. http://www.sunnysimplelife.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh this will be so much fun what a great idea. Looking forward to your 'advent' season.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What lovely views of your beautiful world, Chel! I can't wait to open your Advent doors - what a lovely idea! Hugs, xo Karen

    ReplyDelete
  7. That first shot of the cathedral is magnificent

    ReplyDelete
  8. Absolutely beautiful photos. The cathedral is magnificent, and those doors are wonderful. I'll stop by and open your advent calendar, I may even eat chocolate while I do so...

    ReplyDelete
  9. An advent calendar is a great idea = pity about the chocolate. I'm hoping December goes as quickly as November did.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fabulous photos as always, Chel. The cathedral is beyond beautiful and the trees with their dying leaves are fantastic. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can quite understand why you love that old door!

    ReplyDelete
  12. a sprinkle of crunchy leaves and a backdrop of still-clinging on golden leaves is a thing of beauty indeed! Gorgeous shots, you have such a knack of capturing the season.
    BH x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gorgeous photos, Chel, and my word you had a good day for it, didn't you! I've never seen Lincoln Cathedral, only ever driven through the city on our way to friends further on, but my parents always loved it. One to visit, methinks!

    ReplyDelete
  14. When you drive within a few feet of the cathedral most days you take it for granted . Then theres the odd winters morning when its shrouded in mist and looks magnificent floating over Lincoln

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry Kate, I couldn't reply to you directly via email as you are no reply blogger, but yes, Lincoln Cathedral is beautiful even on a mister morning. This photo is of Peterborough Cathedral on a bit of a dark day, but when a sunset hits it things become quite magical. Have a wonderful week x

      Delete
  15. Chel, these photos are so beautiful. I love the huge old doors, graffiti and all. I'm looking forward to your Advent calendar and will remember to tick off the box at the end. Have a wonderful December. I know it's a busy time for those who are working daily and preparing for the holiday. Warm blessings to you. Now, I'm going to visit the new blog you mentioned. Hugs, Pamela

    ReplyDelete
  16. Coming to visit your blog is like a trip to England each time...and I love your photos today.

    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your photos are so lovely. I think the Advent idea is wonderful. Those old doors make me wonder about what joy and sorrow they've seen, about all the people who have passed under those arches. Amazing history.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I suscribed to Mike's blog as it really seems fascinatinf. Your pictures are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  19. This gotic cathedral is magnificent as a many of UK... The photos are fascinated...invited to visiti it...

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hey Chel - a stunning batch of warm pictures, as usual! To my shame, I have never visited Peterborough Cathedral - though in time I aim to visit every cathedral in Britain. The advent idea is a peach too. I really appreciate the 'shout out' about my blog - your comments are very generous too! No pressure to keep coming up with something..!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Enjoyed reading your blog♪ Have a wonder filled Advent! Visiting from Top Shot...http://lauriekazmierczak.com/door-to-possibility/

    ReplyDelete
  22. Such beautiful images. So happy to have you at "OH, the PLACES I've been!'.

    - The Tablescaper

    ReplyDelete
  23. You've taken some really exceptional photographs here Chel. Makes me want to hot foot it to Peterborough now! Thank you for always providing such lovely images for us to drool over x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting, I love reading your comments and will answer either by email or on the blog. You can also email me privately in my side bar. Have a great day x

Other Posts

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...