Sweetbriar Dreams

So where shall we go on our journey today?

Wednesday 16 April 2014

Sweetbriar Cottage Revisited

It was someone's birthday, someone who was incredibly influential in my life for seventeen years.  The card was posted with the usual newsy bits and a phone call was planned in my mind on the usual 'when I get a moment' time of the week.  A couple of days later the phone rang, I missed the call and the caller did not leave a message.  1471 was dialled and it was a delightfully familiar number.  The number clicked through and the husband answered.  'Thank you for the card Chel, however she was not here to open it'.  The words cut my heart like a knife.  His tears and heartbroken words made me pull myself together to let him speak, let him tell the story of what had happened and I hung on to every word.  You see, this couple were my neighbours when we lived at Sweetbriar Cottage in its idyllic hamlet setting.  For seven years they taught us the way things should be done in the country, gave us advice and supported us through some difficult times.
They worked the land every single day and their enormous garden had perfect lines of fruit and vegetables along with her summer flowers again in lines of such precision.  Spring was the busiest time and when we were ready to build a greenhouse, there was no place better than right next to theirs.  You see, there were no real fences there.  There were trees and shrubs, but the only 'fence' as such was a three foot wall running the length of the land that was built by her father to keep the earth contained as we were on a steep slope.  In this magical place, there was no need to cut off your neighbour.  So, at springtime we would be extremely busy in our greenhouses but able to chat and absorb the years of knowledge of how to grow all sorts of plants and where to plant them.  The golden rule from her to me was  'NEVER plant your flowers in the garden until May 1st'.  Something that my gardening fingers and mind have abided by ever since.
Both myself and Hubby still worked in London at that time and drove every day.  This would mean hanging out my washing to dry first thing in the morning and cross my fingers that they would be dry when I got back.  A couple of times she would bring in my washing if it was raining, dry it, iron it and then leave it as a neat brown paper package by the front door tied up with string, along with a paper bag of vegetables and fruit for our tea.  In turn we would ask if there was anything she needed picking up on the way home and of course sharing jams and chutneys with them.  Simple acts of kindness, not expected, just done as a matter of love and respect.
They unfortunately never had children, and the hamlet itself was childless, so when I became pregnant with Mr Teen, the ripples of excitement grew as they experienced every moment of the impending due date.  This came and went and the evening entertainment was for them to watch me walking up and down our third of an acre garden in the dark, trying with all my might for some movement! Eventually Mr Teen made an appearance to everyone's excitement and their love and nurturing of the little boy was that of proud grandparents.
As he grew and his sense of adventure increased, there were a few times where they would come running down the garden to tell me that he had 'climbed up a tree again', when I thought he was playing behind me.  How do children do that??  They loved to pick him up and take him for a tour of the garden or to see the horses or farm animals down the road.  Then Miss Teen came along and again, a new baby filled the the hamlet with excitement.  Unfortunately Sweetbriar was not going to hold us all, so the time came to move on.  Something that we have regularly regretted.  Good neighbours are incredibly hard to find, especially those that lead a simple life and are not bothered by gossip or trying to outdo each other.  The couple were who they were and nothing was going to change them.  Unique, happy, content, friendly and able to pass on their knowledge without you feeling that you were doing something wrong.  Married for 64 years and still incredibly close.
The call ended to reassure him that we would be at the funeral, and we were, but just a little late due to a car accident, however we were fine with a bit of whiplash and the car was still drive-able!  Nothing was going to stop us saying our goodbyes to such a true angel.  Our devasted neighbour was sat at the front listening to each kind word, which were true and focussed on her love for the wildlife, garden and neighbours and friends.  Our hard part was going to him to offer our condolences.  No words were said at first, he saw Hubby and took his hand, looked to me and hugged me with all his might whispering 'how am I going to carry on?'.  My words were, 'look around - look at how many people will support you'.  Then he saw Mr and Miss Teen and hugged Miss Teen incredibly tightly, the last time he saw her she was two.  The love that he still held for these two Sweetbriar babies was still there and they loved him right back.
As the photos show, we revisited our hamlet of four cottages and a couple of farms for us to go through our own thoughts of her.  The occupants have all changed apart from this wonderful couple and the appearance of satellite dishes now adorns the cottages, however mostly everything else is the same, it has to be for these cottages to survive.
The old bake house, as it was known, is fenced off but this is on everyone's deeds that live there and was used to store non perishable foods and supplies for when the hamlet was cut off in bad weather.
The old log store for 'Percy's Farm' as it was, still stacked.  The work that we all had when logs were delivered for the wood burning stoves!  Two days at least for all of us.
'Percy's Farm' has slightly changed (Percy was the man that used to live there so we gave it that nickname).  He passed away last year, but his farm was for his own refuge of cattle, sheep, geese, pigs and chickens.  They were all his pets, however when foot and mouth came to the area most of his animals had to be destroyed, and I feel this destroyed him too.  Now the new owners have these little characters bouncing around.  Again, lovely people have moved there and were chatting away to Hubby as he reminisced about Percy.  They knew him well.
The surrounding countryside with it's rolling hills hit my memory banks once more and my heart tugged to see my neighbour once more on her bicycle tootling down the long lane to the local shop over a mile away.
Going past Sweetbriar cottage was hard, it was different but oh so familiar.  The pergola that Hubby built was still there, the gazebo in the middle of the garden where Mr Teen used to bounce from his baby bouncer was rusted but still in situ, the greenhouse had been replaced by the summer house that used to sit at the bottom of our garden next to our woodland, the gravel on the drive was still there.  So many happy memories of such a special place.  (I didn't take a shot of the garden from the road as I remember how upset I was when people used to do that when I lived there - nothing like sitting on a swing after a hard day's work on the garden with an audience!).
The neighbours across the road are still there, enjoying the sunshine.
Sweetbriar Cottage was a magical place and somewhere where our lives changed from repairing and re-designing to being parents.  Our neighbours were magical in being the most perfect people that anyone could wish to live next to.  Letters and cards of condolence will be sent however, the hamlet has lost an angel that touched so many lives and I hope that they cherish their remaining living angel through this incredibly hard time.
Sweetbriar will always be in my dreams and heart, along with the wonderful people that live and lived there.  Now do you see why this place is embedded deep within my heart?
But, it was time to head back to our lives and along the narrow little lane that is full of memories for us all as a family.
The cards and phone calls will continue and this time to reminisce not just on when we used to live together, but now also to reminisce of a wonderful lady.

Forever in our hearts.

Take care.


You can also follow me on:

Follow on Bloglovin follow us in feedly

48 comments:

  1. A beautifully written memorial for a special human being. What wonderful memories to treasure. X

    ReplyDelete
  2. You seem to have such fond memories of her, she will forever be around you. Some neighbours do become like a part of the family, while some are complete strangers, it's always weird to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was such a beautiful post. I am sorry to hear about your old neighbour. We have neighbours who took us under their wing too and they look after us to this day! We are very, very lucky as I know these special people are hard to find. Your neighbour sounds like a very special lady indeed. x

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a sweet memorial for a very lovely lady, it must have been a privilege to have known her. Anita xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful, as always. The pictures with the houses look like something from a storybook.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful memorial for your lovely neighbour. You will never forget her, as I will never forget my lovely neighbour who passed away 2 years ago, and her husband at the end of last year. I think of them both often. Always in my heart as your neighbour will be in yours. xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Chel, this is such a beautiful post. You have often shared your love for your beautiful little hamlet and Sweetbriar and I can see why you dearly love it there. I'm sorry for the passing of your dear neighbour. What a beautiful and very English community. A hamlet. It's the stuff of old books - cozy, pretty, inviting. Thank you for sharing it with us. Blessings to you and your family for a wonderful Easter. Pamela

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Chel, I am so sorry for your loss. It sounds as though your neighbour was a wonderful person who bought so much to your life and who I am sure loved all that you bought to hers. You have written so beautifully and with such love and gratitude I can tell that it was a very special friendship. Take care of yourself and your friend. Thinking of you. Love and hugs. xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm sorry, Chel, to hear of the loss of your dear friend. I enjoyed reading about her life and about the life you lived there as her neighbour. Her caring heart made a difference in your life. Going back to where one once lived stirs nostalgia and memories like nothing else. Take care, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have had to stop a couple of times in reading this to wipe my eyes. This is a wonderful and truly heartfelt tribute to a lady you clearly adored. They sound like the perfect couple that we would all love as neighbours, true earth angels. I am so sorry for your loss as it clearly is a huge loss.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a touching story. I too had to stop and wipe the eyes and blow the nose. Neighbors like that are so had to find. We had some like that once too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. A beautiful post and photos . Beautifully written tribute . I am so sorry for your loss of such a dear friend and neighbour . I love the English country side and cottages .

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm so sorry. This is a beautiful tribute. A neighbor next door to our first house, where we were newlyweds and where we had our first baby, recently died as well. We'd been away from the area for years but it was very sad, particularly because it was by suicide and we did not realize things were so difficult for him. I think about him often. Thanks for sharing your thoughts and memories of your friend, as well as these lovely photos.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a lovely tribute to a lady you so obviously held dear. You all built wonderful memories together, something to hold onto in the days ahead.

    blessings,
    Diana

    ReplyDelete
  15. I just wanted to tell you how much this post moved me friend. I could feel every emotion so deeply and I am so very sorry that you have lost such a beautiful loved one. Your memories of your time here are just so rich, warm, and happy. And those pictures....just looks like a storybook! I have never seen anything like it before. Maybe it is the fact that I have the most amazing neighbors on one side of me...she is my gardening buddy who loves my kids and I consider her to be a very dear friend...always there to lend an ear and to put something over the fence that she thinks we could use. In the moment of you describing her and how she would put your dried clothes in a bag with a string around it...I just lost it....I can not imagine not having Sue next to me as my children pound on the window to get her attention as she is out in the garden. How wonderful that your children brought them so much joy! There is nothing better than connections like this. I can see why you are so attached to this amazing place. God bless you all as you journey through this friend.....take care....Nicole xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a lovely story of a wonderful lady and dear neighbour and what wonderful cottages and sweet memories you have from living in this charming place.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh Chel, what a wonderful post, she sounds like an incredibly lovely lady. I'm glad you all managed to get to her funeral to say your final goodbyes (and I hope you're okay after that accident). I remember when I was little we just had three strings of wire between our very long gardens, everything was much more open. We've always had nice neighbours until now, now we have one who is very difficult, and a six foot fence does not seem to be enough for him. It's not a pleasant way to live. Nice neighbours are such a happiness, I'm so pleased you had yours, thank you for sharing your stories. People like that truly make the world a better place.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am so sorry....I know it is hard to say goodbye. She sounds like a lovely soul and how fortunate that you were able to spend a lovely part of your life in this idyllic place. My heart breaks for her dear husband - those words - 'How will I go on without her?' - so sad. Life is so hard sometimes. We live our lives with our hearts on our sleeves, knowing we cannot be immune to the heartaches and trying to remember the sweetness of our days despite that certainty. My own parent's dear little cottage is empty right down the street from me. I cannot bear to go down the lane....Maybe someday when I am stronger. I wish I could give you a big hug right now. xo Karen

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh Chel, such a beautifully written post. I'm so sorry for your loss & how heartbroken your friends husband must be, so sad. I've been blessed with nice neighbours since I bought my house many moons ago & would have been truly lost in the garden with out them. Take care. xx

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a sad post so sorry to hear about the loss of a good friend and neighbour. It was a beautiful place with beautiful people - luckily no one can take your memories away.

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a great story Chell, reading it I even got tears in my eyes. And so nice to have such sweet memories of Sweet Briar. I love the British countryside and........within a month we go there again, I am looking forward to it.

    ReplyDelete
  22. A lovely post, Chel. My prayers are with her husband and all his family and friends.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh Chel this is an absolutely wonderful tribute to such a lovely lady. I'm sure she will always burn bright in your memories x Jane

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a beautiful place to live - I couldn't have possibly left it all behind. Will you ever go back to live there do you think?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe when the children have flown the nest, but the cottages very rarely come up for sale. It was hard to say goodbye the first time, and now we have said goodbye the second time it is even harder. Mind you, it was a money pit and as soon as one thing was fixed the next thing went wrong. Wonderful time though! x

      Delete
  25. What a precious lady your former neighbor must have been. Such a blessing to find such good neighbors who love you like family. Your little cottage was absolutely charming. I know you must miss it terribly. Prayers for your family....Blessings, Vicky

    ReplyDelete
  26. what a wonderful tribute to a special lady. If only we could all have neighbours as lovely. I can see why the cottage has a special place in your heart. xx

    ReplyDelete
  27. Beautiful, beautiful memories.....thank you....made me cry, but reminded me of my own sweet neighbors from our old neighborhood that treated our children as their own.....

    ReplyDelete
  28. What a beautiful tribute. How wonderful to have that experience in such a special place with such wonderful people. Truly a blessing. I'm so sorry for your loss.
    Hugs,
    Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
  29. This was a heart wrenching and beautiful post.
    What a great friend and neighbor and beautiful soul.
    There is a life after, sorry for your loss.
    yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  30. That was so sweet and yes I understand the 'love' of neighbors. I so enjoyed this writing.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Wow what a wonderful tribute. This sounds like a magical place filled with lots of love and great memories.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Thank you for sharing such a beautiful, yet bittersweet travel back to Sweetbriar. What a wonderful part of your life. There are far too many of us who never experience that kind of life. You are a very lucky lady.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Beautiful words written from the heart.

    I love thatched cottages. Thank you for sharing yours and I can see what you mean by the comments you have left on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  34. This it's such a beautifully written post and I really don't know what to write myself but I found I couldn't leave this page without making a comment. I'm so sorry for your loss. I shall keep you and the lady's husband in my thoughts and prayers.
    Tracey xx

    ReplyDelete
  35. Chel, Thank you for sharing your lovely tribute and beautiful friend with us. I have tears rolling down my face and feel the sadness of your loss. Wonderful neighbors like you had are so rare to find, and thankfully will live on in our hearts and memories. Your little hamlet looks absolutely magical to live in and to have lovely friends surrounding you makes life even more beautiful. My sympathy goes out to all of you...

    ReplyDelete
  36. I love those little lanes in the english countryside. Driving can be scarey with so little room to negotiate other vehicles!
    Such sweet cottages, but I can understand the high maintenance of owning one Chel.
    A beautiful post.
    Sending Easter wishes and hugs your way
    Shane x

    ReplyDelete
  37. What charming old thatched cottages! Lovely shots.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Hi Chel, so sorry to hear about the passing of your neighbor. You must miss your neighbor and cottage so much but you will always have the fond memories. I love the cottage, so pretty, and it must have had a wonderful garden! Have a nice weekend and Happy Easter.
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  39. Oh I am sorry to hear of your news.

    We so enjoyed seeing the photos of such a lovely place. I'm sorry the visit back was for the sad reason of saying goodbye to your former neighbour and good friend.

    Wishing you gentle hugs,
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  40. I can see why so many artists were attracted to the area. Your writing brought many memories to life as I grew up with people like these as friends and neighbours.

    ReplyDelete
  41. Chel, what a lovely post and tribute to your dear neighbors.. You have happy memories of the couple. I love the photos of the home and neighborhood, just gorgeous.. Enjoy your weekend and Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  42. I echo what others have said, what a truly beautiful post.

    ReplyDelete
  43. Chel, I was drawn into this post. You wrote from the heart. Amazing stuff. It seems almost incidental to mention that the photos were lovely too - but you do have a good eye.

    ReplyDelete
  44. Chel, what a lovely memorial to your friend. There are a few special people who quietly come into our lives, whose gentle presence impacts us greatly. Thank you for sharing the joy this woman brought to you and your family. I am so sorry for your loss.

    ReplyDelete
  45. I actually came to your blog today to click on the link you used to have, that told me how I would change from a no-reply blogger, I stumbled upon this instead, and Chel it brought tears to my eyes. I am so sorry that you lost such a beautiful human being, you are so blessed to have known her. I can completely and totally understand why you fell in love with your cottage and your neighbors. Thank you for this beautiful piece xx Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  46. I enjoyed reading this after seeing the header at the top! Precious memories!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting, I love reading your comments and will answer either by email or on the blog. You can also email me privately in my side bar. Have a great day x

Other Posts

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...